The curriculum at Nexus School secures breadth, depth, balance and relevance in its content and is designed around five strands, four of which link to the outcome areas in Education Health Care Plans with the addition of independence; a vital skill for all of our learners to develop:
- Cognition and Learning
- Communication and Interaction
- Social, Emotional Wellbeing
- Physical and Sensory Development
The impact of the curriculum focuses upon pupil’s outcomes including their personal development, behaviour and welfare. Teachers plan using student’s Target Towers which link to the five areas above, enabling lessons to be personalised to the needs of every individual. Pupils are challenged with meaningful targets and staff use a wide variety of methods to support them in their learning.
Our curriculum priorities are as follows:
- To personalise the curriculum offer to the abilities and individual strengths of all the pupils.
- To provide a well planned and sequenced curriculum throughout the school.
- To support our pupils to be effective communicators, through whichever method suits them.
- To offer meaningful learning opportunities to maximise capabilities for independence.
- To create a positive and stimulating learning environment which enables pupils to become successful learners who enjoy learning, make progress and achieve.
Nexus school has developed a series of 5 pathways that allow pupils to make meaningful progress throughout their school career, no matter what their starting point. The pathways are designed to allow pupils the opportunity to develop skills for life and independence and allow for therapy interventions where appropriate. Please use the tabs below to view the pathway specific, curriculum information.